What’s on the Menu: Chilli-Non-CarneBack To News
As the weather gets colder there’s no doubt that we’ll be reaching for the nearest winter warmer dish we can, and is there anything nicer for the soul (and stomach) than a smokin’ chilli con carne?
Actually yes, there is… the Vegan version!
To celebrate World Vegan month, we’ve got a recipe for Chilli-‘non’-carne. Check out what you need below, and the method too.
- Oil (for frying)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 pepper (chopped)
- 2 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of kidney beans
- 1 tsp of Pirate Stew Spice
- 2 x sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 2 x carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 x celery sticks (chopped)
- 2 x garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- Pinch of salt
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges to serve
- Heat the oven to gas mark 6 and place the sweet potato chunks in a roasting tin with drizzle over 1 1/2 tbsp oil and coat in Pirate Stew Spice. Mix together with salt and pepper and then roast for 25 minutes until cooked.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan over a medium heat and then add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally and then crush in the garlic and cook for one minute more. Add the tomato puree and then mix together.
- Add in the pepper, chopped tomatoes and then 200ml of water. Bring the chilli to the boil and once done, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour in the beans, once drained, and then cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato to the dish once cooked and then season to taste with the lime wedges by gently squeezing the juice all over.
- Serve with rice and tortilla chips!
Make sure you’ve got all the ingredients by adding them to your basket today and remember, if you cook up our delicious chilli recipe then share a picture with us on our Instagram using the hashtag #CuttingVegRecipes for a discount off your next order.